15 Jul 2014

Guide to Level-3000 EC Electives Part 1

Having come to the end of Year 2 and now that I've already completed most of my Level-3000 EC electives, I'm gonna recommend some what I think are the electives worth taking. I'll not disclose the details as to why I think so (you can leave a comment if you want to ask more). Note that if I state certain modules that I had previously declared disinterest in then it must be the case that the succeeding module (i.e. Level-4000 module that requires the Level-3000 module as the prerequisite) might be useful.*

How this works is I'm gonna give a rating (out of 10) for every module that I recommend. Do note that the rating is relative under the list only. It does not mean that certain modules I'm going to rate as low are bad in absolute terms.

1. EC3312 Game Theory and its Applications to Economics (5/10)
2. EC3314 Mathematical Economics (8.5/10)
3. EC3333 Financial Economics I (7/10)
4. EC3342 International Trade (7.5/10)
5. EC3343 International Finance (8/10)
6. EC3361 Labour Economics I (5.5/10)
7. EC3394 Economics and Psychology (6.5/10)

*I have to say this: I think EC4333 Financial Economics II is pretty essential for anyone who's interested or intending to specialize in the field of finance so that is why I gave a relatively high rating to EC3333. 

Well, the readers of the blog can just take this as a reference. It isn't necessarily true for everyone but personally, these modules are the better ones out there. I'll add on Level-4000 electives to this post by the end of my third year. But I hope this can provide a guide to the younger peers who might be at a loss as to which modules they should take.



6 comments:

  1. Hi!! Sorry to bother you, but can i shamelessly ask if you have any notes (i.e. midterms and assignments) to share please? I am taking EC3342 EC3343 and EC3304 next semester! if you don't mind, my email is slient1993@hotmail.com (slient is purposely spelled that way)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I have uploaded the stuff for EC3304 and EC3341 under "Requested Files" in the side panel. EC3304 is missing one lecture notes on Probit and Logit models. I suggest you refer to the textbook for EC3303 to get a rough idea. It's Chapter 11 if I did not remember wrongly.

    Also, I have completed EC3341 International Economics before the department decided to split it into two modules so there's only so much that can be useful. From what I know, the content for the part on trade covered in EC3341 is largely similar to EC3342. However, as the professors are different, I do not think there is a need to upload the assignments. As for EC3343, Park Jungjae seems to be covering quite different stuff from what we did in EC3341. In fact, I think the part on exchange rates in EC3341 is just the introduction of EC3343. So if you are looking at EC3343, I don't think the notes I uploaded can give you even the slightest idea of what's going to be covered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi would you mind sharing why 3312 and 3361 got a relatively low rating? Thinking of taking these 2 mods and would like to know more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanne.

      I took EC3312 so I can give you fairly accurate advice. EC3312 is a theoretical module, definitely not application-based. It focuses a lot on theories of Nash Equilibrium and it may be a bit abstract at times with all the notations. But having said that, I also mentioned in my "Guide to Level-3000 EC Electives Part 2" that if you're looking to take EC4324 Economics of Competition Policy, then it's useful. And moreover, if you wanna take EC4301, it's definitely handy cos you'll know most of the game theory stuff already. But if you're someone who prefers going into the application side of Econs, then I don't think this module is for you. I suggest you can read the textbook for a general feel of what the module is gonna be like.

      As for EC3361, I did not take it but I did hear from my friends that it is quite simplistic. But I think it's quite different under Ong Ee Cheng for next semester (my friend did not take it under her) cos she focuses on existing readings and I think they're quite interesting. And I looked at the syllabus for EC4361 Labour Economics II this semester. It's very research-based which I am biased towards as I think you get to learn a lot. So given that EC3361 is a prereq for EC4361, you might wanna take that into account as well.

      Let me know if you want any more information.

      Delete
  4. Hi may I know how is EC3343 like? I don't seem to be able to find much information about it. Is it more math-based or essay-based? Why do you give it a relatively high rating? And do I need to take EC3342 first? Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I didn't have the chance to take EC3343 as I already took EC3341 before the module was broken down into EC3342 and EC3343. As far as I know, EC3342 has nothing to do with EC3343. I know of people who took EC3343 without taking EC3342 and still scored well. Basically, EC3342 is just international trade which is somewhat micro as much as international trade sounds macro whereas EC3343 is a lot more macro. Maybe if you're interested, you'd like to take a look at the module description on IVLE? That may give you a bit of an idea. I am pretty sure it isn't essay-based. I'm not so sure if it involves some level of maths but even if it does, it should be quite elementary. I believe this module is more of a conceptual module though. And personally, I think international finance is seen everywhere so it'll good to have some strong foundation in it. I would have loved to take EC4343 International Finance II next semester but I can't cos of my schedule.

      Delete