13 Jul 2014

AY2014-2015 Semester 1 Modules

As usual, I am posting the list of modules that I'll be taking this semester.

EC3304 Econometrics II
EC4102 Macroeconomic Analysis III
EC4341 International Economics II
MA2311 Techniques in Advanced Calculus
ST2137 Computer Aided Data Analysis

I don't think there's much to talk about for my Stats modules since they are core modules which I am taking only now in Semester 5. And there's actually still one more, ST1131 Introduction to Statistics. Ironic? Yes, because I took MA1100 in my very first semester and cross-faculty double majors actually do not have to take UEMs or breadth modules. In other words, MA1100 is an extra module that does not fulfill any university graduation requirements. 

But anyway, I have a choice between MA2108 Mathematical Analysis I and MA2311. Those who have taken MA1505 or MA1104 are precluded from MA2311 but I think MA2311 should be a simpler version of multivariate calculus. I myself am not too sure what the scope of this module will be. I chose MA2311 over MA2108 cos' (1) I suck at convergence series, sequences etc., let alone writing proofs on them and (2) I think multivariate calculus is something very important to Economics majors or even to anyone else so it's good to build a strong foundation and to be able to understand from its fundamentals, vector calculus, and not just know how to perform a double or triple integral. 

As for EC3304, I think it's good to clear it asap. From what I hear, it is not as hard to get as EC3303 for MPE. But I am also not too sure how popular it is exactly. EC4102, on the other hand, is probably a lot more challenging in the first semester. However, the bell curve is really steep in the second semester as the questions simply involve memorising of derivations and I heard the papers are relatively easy (do remember, only honours students are left now). So there are pros and cons in both semesters. Although I can't say for sure that I'll be able to do better in this semester or should I say I am not confident of even securing a good grade, the style of this semester's paper better suits me. So for those who are going to take EC4102 anytime soon, I think it's good to take a look at the papers for both semesters as they really differ drastically. 

I have to clear EC4341 this semester as well as I think taking EC4341 with those who are going to take EC3342 International Trade and EC3343 International Finance (these are new modules for this semester) isn't gonna put me on a level playing field. And at the same time, I do not wish to take EC4341 in Semester 2 as Prof Gentile tends to place more focus on qualitative than quantitative aspects. All this while, I've been very keen on learning how Econometrics can be incorporated into Economics and I believe taking under Prof Davin Chor in Semester 1 will be able to expose me to that sort of knowledge. Of course, there are some of you out there who would prefer a more qualitative course in which I would recommend you then to take under Prof Gentile.

To end off, this semester is pretty crucial for me; it can make-or-break my CAP.

Oh and on a lighter note, for those who wish to take honours modules, MPE gives priority to honours students (and currently, I am still on the ARS3 track).

No comments:

Post a Comment