16 Jul 2014

Guide to Level-3000 EC Electives Part 2

Since I have quite some time on hand now and also being encouraged by the number of views on this blog, I shall continue from my previous post. In this post, maybe let me select the few modules that I have taken and briefly discuss why I recommend them.

1. EC3312 Game Theory and its Applications to Economics

I know that in my module review I had said that this module is pretty much over-theoretical. However, EC3312 is a prerequisite for EC4324 Economics of Competition Policy and I think EC4324 is a good module for anyone who's interested in the study of firms. Apparently, it teaches students how to model firm behaviour which is something that is really quite useful. But whether it really does I'm not too sure.

2. EC3314 Mathematical Economics

To me, this is one must-take elective for any Economics undergraduate who wishes to further his or her studies in Economics. However, if you're a double major or a double degree person doing your first or second major in a quantitative field, chances are you'll be pretty much exposed to what EC3314 deals with. Personally, I have not had any experience with real analysis or dynamic optimization so this module was quite an eye-opener in the sense that I get to know better what's involved in the higher-level modules (I mean 5000 or 6000). Since it's the case that anyone who has gotten a Bachelor's in a quantitative field be it Maths/Engin/Stats can simply cross over to do a Master's in Econs, it's probably good for an Econs single major to boost him/herself in terms of such technical knowledge. If you refer to my module review for EC3314, you'll find the title of the textbook used and I think the textbook is a fairly good one for anyone who's interested in how Maths is used in Econs. After all, it's undeniable how important a role Maths and Stats both play in Econs. 

3. EC3333 Financial Economics I

Like I said, EC4333 is an essential module for those interested in finance and EC3333 does build a bit of foundation and serve as an introductory module for EC4333. I mean stuff like Brownian Motion and Black-Scholes Theory should be fairly intuitive to anyone specializing in the field of finance. 

4. EC3342 International Trade and EC3343 International Finance

I shall do both modules together since I took EC3341 International Economics I. Anyway, no doubt that this is a very pertinent topic all around the world. EC3342 mainly introduces you to the theories of trade that may be able to explain certain phenomenons around the world. When I did EC3341, Dr Lu Yi assigned students a project which was to do a summary on two papers and there are certain points which you could pick out that theories learnt in International Trade could really be used to explain why it was like that. EC3343 continues on from EC3342 by touching on exchange rates and so on. Nevertheless, I personally find EC3343 the more interesting one. It's taken by Prof Jungjae this semester and I actually tried to appeal to waive off the preclusion of EC3341 (but to no avail) as there were many things covered in EC3343 that are not even brought up in EC3341. One of the very interesting things to me is the big topic "Puzzles in International Finance". It touches on things like why certain theories like PPP could not explain what's happening in the world right now. I think this is something you'll find that EC modules rarely teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment